Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's Back Again!

As you can probably imagine from the title of this post, this is not going to be the best post I have written.

On January 6th, we found out that my cancer has come back. I now have Stage 4 Metasticised Breast Cancer. Stage 4 means that it is classed as incurable. This was a huge shock to our family as I had been to see the doctor the day before and my blood tests had come back clear of cancer.

I went for a stardard blood test on Thursday 5th Jan and mentioned to the doctor that I was having some pain in my right ribs. We initially thought that it might be a broken rib from damage done to the bones by the Radiotherapy... so my doctor sent me off for some x-rays.

Thank the Lord for that... because she called my Firday to tell me that there were some dark areas on the x-rays that she was pretty sure were cancer, but she wanted to double check with a chest CT. So, we dropped Kayle off with some friends and headed to the hospital. I had my CT scan and met with the doctor straight away.

She told me that there are a large number of small lesions all over my lungs.

Not good news!

So... Monday and Tuesday I was back at the hospital for more tests to see if the cancer had spread to the rest of my body... Thank God, it has not. It is just in my lungs!

We talked to my doctor for an extended period of time about what to do next and we will be starting Chemo all over again... but this time, it will be to manage the cancer, not get rid of it.

We are just praying that the chemo works and that we can manage for the cancer for an extended period of time... but, the cancer will never go away completely.

So... after we got finished at the hospital on Friday, we met with our Pastor and his wife to talk about all sorts of things and one of the things we talked about was the fact that before I started my chemo, I would love to go on holiday and sit on a warm beach in Hawaii! (I said this, not really thinking anything of it!) Next thing we know, we got a call from our Pastor, Walt telling us that the church is going to pay for us to have a week in Hawaii before I start my chemo. So... I am writing this to you from Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii!!!

We have been here for 5 nights and have loved every minute of our time here! We have been to the beach, the pool, on a helicopter ride, Paddle boarding, ziplining, kayaking and there is still more to come! So many of our friends have bought us an 'activity' so that our trip is fun... we are SO THANKFUL for everyone who chipped in for our trip, paid for an activity, prayed for us, looked after Kayle, bought us dinners and have just been so supportive!

It;s going to be a very long ride from here on out... and we are just so grateful for all our family and friends who have been so loving, supportive and caring and just generally wonderful already!

No comments: